Our students have won national and local recognition for their individual works in music, are attending top tier Universities pursuing music and music industry careers, and our performance ensembles receive top honors at local Festivals. We offer classes in Band, Orchestra, Jazz Band, Rock Band and Composition/Recording Arts. We offer extended studies in world musics through Samba Corvo and the Gamelan Orchestra as well. Our Conservatory program offers pre-professional training in music, where students earn high school and college credit for their work. All Envision music students work with teaching artists who are working professionals in the San Diego Area and beyond, including the foremost Gamelan expert in the US!
Envision Instrumental Music Day Classes
- Symphonic Band- is a year long performance based class. Students leaving middle school are generally best prepared for the Symphonic Band level. In this class we perform music from all styles and really work on the fundamentals of musicianship necessary to be successful in the more advanced classes. This is not a beginning level class.
- Wind Ensemble - is an audition-only year long performance based class. Students in this class perform advanced high school and collegiate literature in all styles. Emphasis on ensemble technique and advancing individual musicianship are stressed in this course. Auditions will be held in March/April for current and incoming students. Audition requirements can be found here
- Jazz Band- The CCA Jazz Ensemble is an audition-only year long performance based class. Jazz Ensemble students are CCA's most portable ensemble and often represent our school at off campus performances. This class performs with traditional big band instrumentation and occasional guest soloists on other instruments. The students learn a variety of jazz styles, study jazz history and theory, as well as hone their improvisational skills. Space is limited in this class based on instrumentation. Auditions will be held in march/April for current and incoming students. Audition requirements can be found here
- Orchestra- is a year long performanced based class that focuses on String pedagogy, ensemble playing techniques and advancing individual musicianship. While there is no initial audition, this is not a beginning level class. Chair placement auditions will take place during the first week of school. Chamber groups may be selected out of the orchestra to work at at different levels (advanced, string quartet, etc)
- Guitar(Rock Band) -The Guitar class includes bassists, drummers and singers and creates rock bands from within the class. Students are also given very specialized instruction in guitar through our artists in residence.
- Digital Composition-The CCA MIDI lab is a state of the art computer/music technology center. We have current music industry software and hardware. Students in the MIDI series learn the basics of electronic music composition and expand into sound engineering and music business practices.
- Recording Arts-Students continue their electronic music training in the MIDI lab and work with Pro-tools software. Students experience different live recording situations in a very hands on manner.
- Gamelan is an extension class taught after school. Students have the opportunity to learn authentic cultural music from Java, Indonesia. Students are taught by foremost Javanese Gamelan expert, Pak Djoko Walujo, who we are fortunate to share with CalArts, UCLA and SDSU.
- Samba Corvo is the spirit of CCA! Our traditional Brazilian Batucada is a "drumline" with it's cultural roots in authentic Samba technique. Samba Corvo is a staple at pep rallies, sports games and other CCA events.
- Both Samba Corvo and the CCA Gamelan Orchestra ensembles are open to all students at CCA and operate under the support of CCA ASB and the CCA Foundation.
Envision Instrumental Music Conservatory
The conservatory program is an extended day class where students earn High School credit for their participation in a specialty program designed to prepare them for the rigorous demands of professional and collegiate music programs. Students perform in large ensembles, chamber groups and solo works, work with artists in residence who are professionals in their own fields, as well as currently earn college credit through MiraCosta College for their coursework in Music History and Music theory.
- Amy Villanova, Envision Instrumental Music Coordinator
- Anne Whattoff, Envision Vocal Music Coordinator
- Nate Jarrell , Audio Technology, Jazz and Rock Bands
Instrumental Music Links
Visit the teachers' websites for current student information
- Amy Villanova, Program Coordinator-Instrumental Music
- Anne Whattoff, Program Coordinator-Vocal Music
- Nate Jarrell
Email the teachers:
Check the Instrumental Music Website for the most current audition information